Celebrate the New Year & the Year of the Snake with JANM!
Join us on Sunday, January 6 from 11am – 5pm for a BIG day full of family-friendly fun activities, crafts, and cultural performances…and it’s all FREE!
We will have a lot of everyone’s favorite activities, plus Year of the Snake-themed crafts & more!
Here are a few highlights to look forward to:
– Mochitsuki performance & demonstration by Kodama Taiko
– Common Grains returns with the Onigiri Design Contest. Last year, this was so popular that we ran out of rice! This year, we’ll also have a rice tasting and you can purchase different varieties of rice. [Learn about how Common Grains got started in this article by founder Sonoko Sakai on our Discover Nikkei site: Common Grains]
– World-renowned candy artist Shaun Ichiyanagi also returns to make snake sculpture candy! (Everyone can watch, but the candy snakes are for children only & will be raffled off at the start of every hour)
– Learn how to play taiko with Bombu Taiko
– Reptacular Animals presents a Reptile petting zoo! Come meet real snakes and other cool reptiles!
– Special fukubukuro (lucky bag) sale at the Museum Store
Here are some photos from last year’s Oshogatsu Family Festival taken by volunteer Richard Watanabe:
While you’re here, take advantage of the free admission all-day to check out Giant Robot Biennale 3 before it closes on January 20!